Frequently Asked Questions


Town Meeting Schedule

1. How do I find out about upcoming meetings?

The Town posts agendas for all meetings on the posting board near the mailbox at the Town Hall and on the website.

Garbage and Recycling Pick up Schedule

1. When is garbage and recycling pick up?

Normal pick up day is Fridays, and the provided containers should be roadside by 6 am. Pick up will be one day later including Saturdays in weeks where a holiday is observed. Monthly bulky collections will be on the second Friday of each month. Contact Johns Disposal at (888) 473-4701 or

Forms and Permits

1. Do I need permits for home building projects?

It is best when planning a project to check with the Town Building Inspector 1-262-366-2400 before proceeding. Common permits applications are available on the website with a list of fees.

2. Do I need a permit for burning?

The Town does not issue permits for burning but we encourage you to call our Fire Department non-emergency number 262-642-5294 to report any burning activities as well as the Walworth County Sheriff’s Department.

Town Zoning Regulations

1. Is the Town regulated by zoning?

Yes, the Town of Troy follows Walworth County Zoning Regulations. Nick Sigmund is the Walworth County Zoning Code Enforcement Officer for the Town and can be contacted at (262) 741-4972.

Tax Information

1. Why is my property assessed and taxed the way it is?

A link is provided here to the Wisconsin Department of Revenue’s Guide for Property Owners: